Proud Mary, Murray River
The vessel, Proud Mary (formerly MV Expedition), was built in Berri, South Australia in 1982. The Proud Mary was purpose built with a shallow draft, allowing the vessel to safely navigate shallow sections of the river. The style of the vessel was taken from the Mississippi river cruisers. The vessel produces its own power from onboard generators and waste water is stored onboard then removed when in port in accordance with environmental guidelines.
Cruises range from two to five days, and offer many opportunities for a varied working, dining, and leisurely program. Chartering Proud Mary includes exclusive use of the vessel, all meals, accommodation, entertainment and conferencing facilities.
Proud Mary Cruising Options
2 Night Cruise - departs Friday
Accommodation onboard Proud Mary
They also offer breath-taking river views and open on to balcony areas. Though all the cabins are smoke-free zones, the decks are open spaces where you can freely smoke. The Proud Mary ensures your safety while cruising by providing lifejackets in all the cabins and placing life buoys on all decks around the vessel.
Each cabin has a private ensuite, hair dryers, tea/coffee making facilities and is serviced twice daily free of charge. Anyone can order a drink at the bar or make a coffee in the lounge before venturing out onto the Proud Mary’s spacious open decks.
Bikes and canoes are available free of charge to enable our passengers to explore at their leisure any spectacular mooring locations or to discover the backwaters. For those who like a spot of fishing, reels and baits are also available.
Proud Mary Vessel Facilities
Proud Mary's dedicated Australian Crew include: Captain, Engineer, Cruise Director, Cabin Stewardess, Head and Second Chef - all available and eager to cater for your every comfort and desire.
Weddings onboard Proud Mary
With notification our chefs are able to cater for most dietary requirements. Please advise us at time of booking of any special requirements.
Abundant wildlife will be seen throughout your entire expedition cruise. River Gums and Willows line the banks of this famous river and provide a perfect safe haven for birds and wildlife. Take a closer look with the aid of binoculars. Not only by day but also by night, the Proud Mary’s powerful floodlights illuminate the graceful willows and dark waters as you cruise. View nocturnal wildlife, especially birds such as night herons, owls and coots.
Some of the informative tours include:
• A journey aboard a small boat to cruise the River’s secluded lagoons and inlets, here you will view some of the 320 species of birdlife in this region and discover the intricacies of the ancient cliff face.
• The Nocturnal Discovery is an insight to abundant wildlife, including the Southern Hairy Nosed Wombat, floodlights illuminate the secluded outback enabling you to easily view the native flora & fauna.
• Murray Aquaculture, one of the most ambitious aquaculture projects undertaken in Australia. With a local guide visit the interpretation centre, ponds and nurseries, which house the yabby, a uniquely Australian freshwater crustacean.
• Take a fascinating guided nature walk through Reedy Creek Gorge more commonly known as Mannum Waterfalls. Discover this permanent water course from waterfalls, through swamps and wetlands.
• Aboriginal Dimension – Journey into history at Ngaut Ngaut Aboriginal Conservation Park, one of the oldest archaeological digs in Australia. In 1929, burial grounds, tools and art were discovered revealing facts about life on the River over 8,000 years ago. Here you are met by a local Aboriginal Guide and will discover galleries of cave art and smoke stains from ancient fires and some artifacts unearthed by archaeologists.
• Australian Theme – As dusk falls, enjoy and evening around a blazing campfire. A delicious bush barbeque is prepared using local produce, including billy tea and damper. Along with evening entertainment under the stars on the golden sands of the river bank.